Friday, March 23, 2012

A Baby Blanket and a Believer...

Almost a year ago, as Jason started the recruitment process to become a deputy the first individual he made contact with was his recruitment officer, a Christian woman whose husband is a deputy and they have been at the Sheriffs office for 25 years. A Christian, who expressed on the very first meeting how they needed more believers and men like Jason on the force- that was our first clue God was up to something. Susan has been praying for us and for Jason during this whole process and continually helping and encouraging him through all the steps. She offered to meet up with me or talk on the phone anytime with any questions or fears that I may have. She was first to call Jason with the good news that he had been selected, and just yesterday... Jason came home from orientation with a gift from her. She crocheted Cole a baby blanket - and with it came a card that said every stitch represents a prayer lifted up for both of you and your new baby. I seriously was so overwhelmed and speechless at her sincere kindness. I was overwhelmed at God's great love for our family- of how He continues to place sincere Christians in our life to encourage us and show us His grace and love. In what can be a scary and intense profession, it has been a HUGE comfort to know that Jason has had a prayer warrior inside the Sheriff's office and someone rooting him on who knows just what the job puts you through personally.  We are so encouraged and we can just smile and know that God is watching over us. 
I want to be more like Susan. She wrote me back in an email that her spiritual gifts include intercession and encouragement.  I would say so!  She is using her strengths to lift up others. Do I do that? Am I using the gifts God has given me to bless others? How important is it to me to use my time in small but GREAT ways like this? Susan spent her time, her prayers on Jason and I. And I have never met her. Jason has known her for almost a year. Wow. It is in these glimpses of God and His love in others that inspire me, humble me, and remind me God is near. Grateful for Susan. Grateful and overwhelmed by sincerity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment